The D&D Thirty Day Challenge | Day 30


DAY 30: Best Playing/DM Experience?

As a player, my best playing experience would probably still be the first time I ever played because when we got into combat I rolled a triple critical (20/20/19) for an insta-kill on the first enemy I fought. Oddly enough, I've found that a lot of first-time players roll critical hits on some of their first actions and it makes me wonder if those who roll critical hits are more likely to stick with the game than those who generally don't.


My best DM experience has probably been with my current small-group because the players are really hooked into the stories and they are engaged all the time. We've been meeting for a little over a year in about 30 sessions (since we can't meet every week) and I look forward to that group the most since even with only 3 PCs they've been as effective as a party of 5. The other thing I like about their campaign is that they appreciate the RP side of the game just as much as combat so there are sessions where combat isn't really possible and that it'll be mostly dialog. Some of the group's I've been the DM for really loved combat more and were looking to get the next combat as fast as possible, which made it hard to develop a story (which I do like doing with any campaign). Overall, I feel that I'm the most engaged with this group so far and who knows where this campaign will end up, but I look forward to where it will go.


This concludes the 30 day challenge, and perfectly too right in time for a nice long holiday weekend. If there are more questions that you want me to answer, feel free to leave a comment or email them to me and I'll do my best to get them answered!