Build-A-Character Workshop

In a conversation before a session of D&D we got to talking about what really is meant by the ability scores beyond that a 10 is average. In one of my campaigns a character has a 9 Charisma score which is about the same charisma of a dire boar (which has 8 charisma). In trying to compare the two, we couldn't really conceptualize what this means for a humanoid other than having a bristly personality that people tended to not like or avoid when possible. Luckily I found an old blog post from a blog called "DMing With Charisma" that explained a wide range of ability scores in simple terms.

In general, I feel that this list is a great explanation to what the ability scores mean and honestly, it made me want to create myself as a PC to see how I would fair in the world of 3.5e D&D. (Note: the explanations from DMing With Charisma are only for 3e characters as scores vary a bit between 3e and 4e). As the author of the blog explains in the comments of the original post, this list isn't the definitive explanation and definitions will vary (perhaps a low charisma means you aren't physically attractive rather than socially acceptable) and there is definitely room for variations.

How I Stand Out As A Character
In reading through each stat explanation, I determined where I fit in the explanation and picked the ability score of where I felt I was closer. For example, if I felt I had a Strength of 6-7, and I was more likely to struggle lifting heavy things (8-9) rather than being knocked off my own feet (4-5) I would make my score a 7 because it was closer to the next tier than not. This methodology was used to get the following scores:

Strength 12 (+1)
Dexterity 15 (+2)
Constitution 12 (+1)
Intelligence 17 (+3)
Wisdom 20 (+5)
Charisma 13 (+1)

Overall, there really isn't a way to explain your rationale without sounding like a jerk, but I'll do my best. I feel that the simple explanation for strength doesn't quite work too well since it really doesn't address physical labor as well as the carrying capacity chart does. So by the simple explanation I have a 12 strength, when by carrying capacity, I probably am closer to a 14-15 (going on the assumption that a light load would be something you could maintain on your back for an extended period of time and that a heavy load would be something you could carry in short bursts). Ultimately, this stat could vary a bit from word to chart, but for the sake of consistency, I get a 12.

In terms of dexterity, I had a bit of trouble because much of the wording relies on you attempting many dexterous actions to compare yourself to. So trying to conceptualize an otherwise D&D-centric explanation in real-world terms has to be looked over. I chose 15 for myself because I assumed a medium-speed projectile would count as a football or baseball being thrown to you. It may have a decent bit of speed behind it, but it's still catch-able without injury. I also put it closer to the 16-17 tier because I figured if you can kill bugs flying around you occasionally, you're closer to that next tier than not.

Constitution was a difficult one to address because it mixed health and labor in the explanations. So if you're able to work, but you tend to get sick a bunch, your ability score may be hard to determine. Ultimately, I chose to go with a 12 because I feel that I'm pretty resilient in terms of being able to work when I'm tired or losing energy, but I don't know if I am quite close enough for 12 hours of hard labor (depending on what is being defined as hard labor).

In terms of Intelligence and Wisdom, there doesn't seem to be a good way to say an explanation without feeling like you have a superiority/inferiority level depending on your scores. At face value of the wording, I fit best as a 17 Intelligence and a 20 Wisdom. The high intelligence actually stems from a test called the Kolbe test which analyzes your reactions to certain situations and gives you a score and characterizes you based on your responses. This test said I scored high on hitting the ground running when it came to gathering information and other fact-finding endeavors. It characterized me as someone who could learn a new task quickly, which helped me fit into that category. I put myself at the 17 because as a Web Designer, I do end up doing some Web Development work so I'm closer to developing more unique methods of doing things than not.

As stated before, my wisdom was set at a 20 not because I feel that I am very wise by conventional means, but rather by the way it was described I am very wise. One of the things I am most proud of for myself is that I can read people and read their reactions very well. So much so that I can look at a person's expression solely through their eyes and know what they are feeling and can steer conversations accordingly to improve that person's mood.

Finally, my charisma was put at a 13 because while I can read people well, I am an introvert so rather than interacting with people I will more often sit back and let the situation play itself out. I put this score at a 13 because depending on the people I'm with I may be closer to the next tier, but in general, I'm much less 'interesting' by simple terms.

In the future, I will be hopefully taking these stats and building a character out of them, but until then, I'm interested in hearing what other people are getting for their stats.