Stepping into the Future | Beginnings of 5e

Over the course of the last couple years, I've been listening to a bunch of D&D podcasts and pretty much all of them have moved into the D&D Next (5e) edition.  From when I first heard about how 5e is diversifying the way classes are and how they crafted the rules to better accommodate players from all D&D backgrounds, I must admit I was intrigued.

Now that so much of 5e has become more commonplace, I'm starting to get a little more interested in it and want to DM and/or play in a 5e campaign. While 3.5e is my bread and butter, I really haven't heard anything from players that make me think that 5e isn't a step in the right direction.

In an effort to better understand the system, I will be starting to read through the free DM Rules and Player Rules that Wizards of the Coast have provided.  While the edition is still being fleshed out a little more, and more creatures, classes, and modules are starting to appear, I'm sure that more people will start latching onto it.

My hopes is that over the course of this year I will start learning 5e a little more, and eventually start a 5e campaign with a few people and document the journey from character creation through the campaign.  Fingers crossed it will go as smoothly as I hope it does!