Stepping Into The Future | 5e Campaign Starting

Tonight I will be starting a 5e campaign with a couple of my friends from college and one of my co-worker's friends.  None of us have ever played 5th edition before, and only 3 of us have any experience with D&D altogether.  It should be an enjoyable time though since we're meeting in person, which I haven't done for a D&D session in almost 3-4 years now.

I have a basic character back story setup, and I've read through the Player's Handbook a couple times, but since I've got the most experience with D&D I've elected to fill in to be whatever the party ends up lacking to make it a nice balanced group.  Hopefully, in the next couple days I'll have a recap of my initial thoughts into how character building and game play went, but initially from reading through the books and rules it does seem like a well-condensed version of 3.5e with some pretty straightforward rules.

Overall, I'm excited to see how it goes and excited to watch how some D&D newbies get their feet wet with a new campaign.